Tuesday 7 October 2014

Trailer Tuesday: Inherent Vice.


I have to admit this wacky trailer had me captivated for two reasons. One, Joaquin Phoenix looks just bonkers; so quirky that you can't help but be invested in his character (I mean look at that hair), and two, doesn't this just act as the perfect pallet cleanser for a summer of block-busters.
In this, seemingly ridiculous but charming caper (again look at Phoenix's sideburns), the audience follows a 1970s detective Larry 'Doc' Sportello (Pheonix) who investigates the disappearance of a formal girlfriend. Directed and written by Paul Thomas Anderson, Pheonix and a cast that spans from Josh Brolin to Reece Witherspoon, seem to be in good hands. As not only does this look like a solid laugh filled film, but also quite a beautifully shot piece of work.
I often find myself drawn too out-the box characters, and Inherent Vice is no exception, as the character of doc seems to be well, unique. Obviously he is the focal point of this trailer, and so he should be, but I feel without Phoenix's eccentric level of acting, I think the film would fall flat. I know that is just nitpicking, but sometimes a one man show isn't sufficient to ensure a thoroughly entertaining picture, however, this is only the first trailer and maybe as we learn more of the film, we will realise the importance of the other acting heavyweights involved.
This is definitely on my must see list. How could anyone resist this level of difference? especially in an age of cinema that seems to churn out similar generic pieces in order to make a profit. In many ways, this film has already won me over for the simple fact it exists, as it is bold and brash, which provides a clear breathe of fresh air.
Inherent Vice is due in cinemas, 30th of January 2015, in the UK, (not just in time for Christmas!)

No comments:

Post a Comment