Friday 28 November 2014

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer Review



Today has been perhaps been the most anticlimactic day of my life. Living in the Uk, which is a long way from the select theatres in the US, the time at which the most anticipated trailer probably of all time was released was a mystery.  In lesson at college I was consistently checking Itunes, Youtube and Twitter just on the off chance that I may catch a glimpse of this trailer. Consistently mislead, and presented with numerous (and quiet hilarious) spoof trailers my anticipation never faltered only grew.

So much so that when the trailer finally dropped, whilst on my paper round (yes I still have one of those), I was more disappointed than blown away. This feeling quickly gave way and I am still awe consumed by the spectacle of Millennium Falcon flying recklessly along the dunes of what I presume is Tatooine. However, it just goes to show how the media is able to drum up so much hype that everyone expects more that what is provided. In this instance then I can't help but feel a little let down, not because this looks bad (this really is the polar opposite), but because I still feel like I want more.

I love how they foregrounded the new talent that they are bringing to the franchise, and I believe that Oscar Isaac, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and who I presume is Adam Driver (being all sith) will be wonderful additions to the story. However, this is where my main gripe with this trailer came from, WHERE IS THE RETURNING CAST?? In what is going to be one of the greatest nostalgia trips of all time no one thought to include a shot of Han Solo or Luke Skywalker or Princess Leia, no one? The film does debut in over a years times, meaning that there is plenty of time for more of the original cast, but just a back of the head would suffice.

Overall, this trailer was pretty safe in my eyes feeding of expectation more so than delivering any real talking points that will fuel discussion. Although the effects look stunning and the camera work tracking the Millennium Falcon was awesome I can't help but feel that the trailer did not fulfill expectations. But my life I still cannot wait for this film, and I understand that a teaser is just a teaser, but compared with the Age Of Ultron trailer I think The Force Awakens was not as insightful or revealing as the former, which may be a good thing Who Know? Oh and is that a Cumberbatch I heard?? Maybe the darkside is recruiting...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment