Friday 12 September 2014

My Top Five Favourite Directors


Continuing my Top Five Friday section lets get down into the gritty stuff and discuss my top five favourite directors. A director really brings together all the wonderful work of everyone involved in the picture, and allowing their own interpretations to seep into the film, providing a unique experience that we as watchers are privileged to experience.
Now lets move swiftly into my Top five directors, starting with the master of framing himself...

Number 5: Wes Anderson.

Wes Anderson, in my opinion, is the marmite of cinema. He may divide critics, but for me he is just a wonderful blend of originality and enchanted story telling. Never fussed about mainstream appeal, his films always provide a fresh departure from the recycled explosion filled stereotypical b-level film that audiences have expected. 
With a filmography extending from the beloved Bottle Rocket to the 2014 hit The Grand Budapest hotel, it's hard to find extensive faults with anyone of his pictures. Yes it may be full of over the top vocabulary, the same fancy fonts and Bill Murry after Bill Murry, but that is the magic of Anderson. His role as auteur is noticeable in every film he produces, and that either completely alienates people, or in my case completely captives me. 
If I had to pick a favourite, it would be between Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel. Those two are just sublime pieces are, let alone film-making. 

Number 4: Steven Spielberg.

The iconic director deserves a spot on any list. His influence in Hollywood is tremendous, and literally any movie on his filmography can be classed as classics. An expert of emotional storytelling, and practically developing the modern blockbuster, Speilberg's extensively well-crafted films have left audiences in tears, scared or damn right exhilarated for almost 40 years.    
From Jaws, to Lincoln as well as Jurrasic Park he has never failed to captivated the imagination of the audiences that pay to watch his work. With more cult hits than (insert appropriate comparison), I can't think of a director whom has achieved such success both critically and from the mainstream. 
However, if I have to choose my favourite has to be the three Indiana Jones films, as there are only three no matter what anyone says. Here he blends action with a strong narrative which stands the test of time. The humour on display is also tremendous, and when you add it all together you are left with such a iconic film. 

Number 3: Quentin Tarantino

How can Tarantino not be on my list. Arguably the best in the business, this original director brings grind house to the fore front whenever possible and chooses to opt for the most unorthodox, but enthralling, way of telling a story. This quent-essential (see what I did there), director is always the VIP on any product he produces, which is rare in a film society accustomed to star-power.
His obvious film-making traits can be found throughout any one of his pictures. The excessive amount of blood, the use of the mother fudger and non linear story telling is all what Tarantino is about. It has won both critical and cult appeal and I for one love every aspect about it. He may have the odd bad film or missed mark, but on the whole his work is consistently above par. But it is when Tarantino focuses that we experience a film that is truly sublime. 
To chose a favourite is very very hard, although I did list Inglorious Bastards in my top ten, I would have to my favourite purely Tarantino film would have to be Reservoir Dogs. His first major motion picture is a prime example of wonderful storytelling, that despite being on a small scale still evokes tension that leaves the mind-boggling with entertainment.  

Number 2: David Fincher.

The master of the dark and depraved his films are truly strokes of geniuses, that through his use of cinematic storytelling captivate audiences in both their complexity and overall narrative. Fincher is a director who's style and ability can elevate a whole range of narratives. 
Notable for his work on Seven and Fight Club, the director is able to take, what most would consider unworkable substance,  and display it with all the grit and realism it needs. He is a director with guts, which has to be respected, as Hollywood can be fickle and it is a rarity to find a director who is willing to lend his name to such potential risks, let alone convert them into iconic hits. 
His directing style for me is so unique with his willingness to stick to a grim colour pallet adding a clear sense of grime to his work, elevating them to an atmosphere where the audience can feel lost. If I had to pick a favourite I would have to say Seven. It is just a tremendous craft of mystery and suspense that just stands out as a classic. 

Number 1: Christopher Nolan.

As I sat in the cinema watching the Dark Knight for the first time I can remember my complete and utter unrelenting excitement. It was evidently clear to me that I had a new favourite film, and that moment would be treasured forever. However, what I didn't know was that I was only scratching the surface of the best working director in Hollywood. Many may suggest that this is a result of over the top fandom, which is the direct result of a comic book trilogy, to those people in plain English, you are wrong. 
Christopher Nolan captures everything remarkable about intellectual cinema. He challenges the audiences intelligence, and ensures that we remain on the same intellectual level as himself. If you want to an example of this look no further than Momento. His earliest work reveals that Nolan does not need to rely on obvious exposition, instead the director calls for attention, making us watch cogs turning as we begin to piece together a story that is ultimately breathe taking.
However, what I really love about the director is that he can maintain this level of brilliance on a grand scale, a feat that many directors wouldn't dream of doing. That is why Inception is my favourite film of all time, his work on that piece is ground breaking and unlike any film that I have ever seen before. Hopefully his faultless track record will continue with my most anticipated film of the year Interstellar, due in cinemas October. 





No comments:

Post a Comment